The Psychology of Damien [spoilers]

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.

Where does Damien go from here?

Psycho crazy guy
25%
Jealous stalker boyfriend who loves you but tests your moral fiber
16%
Crazy demon king who demands you be his bride >: o !!!
13%
A pretty cool guy
4%
Complicated love interest Hanako writes to torture us
31%
Your forbidden lover who you can never tell anyone about
11%

Total votes: 96

Oki

The Psychology of Damien [spoilers]

#1 Post by Oki » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 am

Oh no it's that girl again

So Damien is crazy. He's cuckoo for coacoa puffs. He is apart of a demon plan and has f it up by accidentally loving you. Fun times. Now what interests me most is the DAMN PSYCHOLOGY OF THIS CHARACTER okay you get it now there are spoilers I warned you.

Friends, denizens, I have a question for all of you. Now this applies to everyone, even people who hate Damien with a fiery passion. I want your opinion...where does Damien's brain even go from here? Hell he doesn't even seem to know. The way I see it there are a few possibilities.

He becomes a really jealous boyfriend and tries to hurt your guy friends (okay this could happen in any of these)

He becomes a failure as a demon ruler thanks to not killing you, goes insane and kills you. ROMANTIC RIGHT

He somehow maintains his sanity, as much as a demon can, and becomes a slightly obsessive boyfriend from a distance.

Someone finds out about you and THEY KIDNAP YOU AND WOW THIS JUST BECAME A FANFICTION

He becomes A SUPER POWERFUL DEMON KING WITH NO WEAKNESSES and his one weakness is his mysterious secret lover no one can find ~oh plot twists~

I have an over active imagination.

Basically, what do you think? Do you think Damien is any of the above, or some other kind of special/weird/evil/fluffy thing? This character keeps me up at night (no he doesn't) he makes me have deep intellectual thought (he makes me think of Katy Perry songs) ....I'm pretty obsessive.

cae

#2 Post by cae » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 am

Damien... yeah.

First of all, wow, yeah he's got some problems like for reaaallzzz...

Second, considering that he won't be allowed back into the school legitimately.

And that all of your friends hate him. (I'm sure they would in WH too.)

It's probably safe to say that unless Damien has a complete turn around and somehow it's publicised to everyone that ever knew him, that Damien turns into the secret relationship.
He already threw away his 'royalty', but honestly with Damien's compulsive lying skills... I didn't REALLY believe him anyway. ANYTHING Damien said fell into the 'it's a lie unless proven otherwise' category. I might have even said Damien was lying to me, if he said his own skin was blue.
So obviously, HorsePC would have to learn to read into every thing he says. And as Potsdam advised, stay several steps ahead of him.
If, for instance, we could learn to do that. I assume that any relationship with Damien would be successful.

BUT, of course. The learning process.

Anyway, I guess I like to think of it as HorsePC graduates school and has to move Damien in because he sleeps in a new cardboard box every week. She gets a job, and he lazes around and protects the house from stray dogs and demons and attempts to find another way to usurp his rightful position as king or whatever while being a total leech.

... Cute, right? LOL

thezooqueen

#3 Post by thezooqueen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 pm

spoiler alert
I could never get into Damien. I tried, but he was just too much of an a$$hole at all the wrong times. And once that was revealed I could not get into that character anymore. I have too many a$$hats in my life already I am not going after one in a game no matter how cute he is hehe. I have had no interest in going after him any time I have played the game since.

ark99k

#4 Post by ark99k » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Well honestly, when I was on his path I fell in love with him. I not saying I was happy when he attempted to kill me but I knew something like that would happen when he gave me the brush off. It may be because I am into the 'guy who set out kill you but then fell in love you' thing. Anyway remember how that one time if you had plans with someone else when Damien pulled you into the classroom he would demand that you cancel and if you didn't cancel he would leave you forever. That makes me think would be a jealous boyfriend type. Now he would probably go to the otherworld and assemble an army or something while you are school. Oh maybe he would pretend to be someone else, enrolled at the school and well yeah. I am over thinking things again. (Sorry for the long post.)
★Shining like a star!★

Oki

#5 Post by Oki » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:44 pm

That's how he gets you fjhdljskdfd.

Personally I always thought Damien not killing you just meant he couldn't become someone EVERYONE had to acknowledge. It meant he, as he stated himself, still had the beginnings but he'll have to work his ass of for power. And he will. Guys crazy. But I personally think he'll end up being an important and powerful leader who's only secret is his human girlfriend who he keeps trying to convince to give in to eviiiiiiiil. Or something. XD

kasztan_filut

#6 Post by kasztan_filut » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 am

Even if he doesn't succeed in gaining back his position of power, he's still a powerful demon with possible connections (since we don't know if he has loyal 'friends' in the other world - realm. He may no longer be a legitimate 'heir' but that doesn't mean he can't claw his way back up once he (and maybe your character) gain a stable footing in the world, rank wise.
He doesn't like hurting you because he loves your character, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to take advantage of some other person (possibly with your help).
I'd help him... :wink: :twisted:

Moonyart

#7 Post by Moonyart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 am

I liked the damien path and was a bit dissapointed that there was no real happy ending for the two lovers in the story. For me, I would have loved to see a choise where the girl could choose to stay with damien, give in to the darkness, find another victim so Damien can take his throne and then, when adult, rule together with him as powerfull evil royalty. Would that not be loads of fun :twisted:

Dalis918

#8 Post by Dalis918 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm

going through his story I would say part of the reason (if you're successful) that he actually does fall for you is the fact that you're (more or less) truly an innocent and good person, so I don't really see him wanting to be with you or being willing to let you actually find somebody else to suck dry or whatever he planned to do with your soul. :evil:

Mlamlah

#9 Post by Mlamlah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 am

Actually, there is one way to pretty successfully start on the dark path with Damien almost entirely.
If you continue to see Damien, your friends will find out and eventually confront you, at the exam and once beforehand. They will ask you to promise not to speak to him, if you agree to them, and see him anyway some pretty interesting stuff ensues.

biscuit

#10 Post by biscuit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:05 am

He is definitely psycho crazy.

BUT, I actually picked 'complicated love interest' because there's a bit more going on to him than that. Manipulative as all get out, yes, but if you 'successfully' romance him as a complete innocent, I think he actually shows signs of wanting to change. (Not changing because he actually 'knows' it's better, but because he knows it would make his Sue happy.)

Anyways, I admit that even though I'm a sucker for a good redemption story, Damien is a little too crazy for me. I guess part of it's because I felt so betrayed (!!!) after falling for him the first time I played I can't quite dissociate myself from it.

Oki

#11 Post by Oki » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah I agree with the concept that he knows changing will make Sue happy, but I think we all know that ain't gonna last. He's got evil tendencies, and I believe he'll show that in the course of time. I think he would probably grow jealous of any boy hanging around her and become possessive. Oh love with crazy demons.

13ventrm

#12 Post by 13ventrm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:49 am

Hm, that's a tricky question. I suppose I like Damien's path in a guilty pleasure kind of way, because while I think the whole "will raze kingdoms to the ground for you" thing is somewhat romantic, the whole "tried to kill you" thing makes the romance unable to be enjoyed in any way but a guilty one. For me at least.

Oki

#13 Post by Oki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 am

For me it's like a dark, dark, dark fantasy element to it.

You opt to stay with Damien. He is posessive and controlling, but loves you in his own messed up way. If guys ever hit on you he probably hurts them. Badly. And you're in a constant struggle to NOT let people know you're dating the guy who tried to kill you.

....And then you get pregnant and GASP what will you do it's obviously going to be a Cambrien hybrid AND PEOPLE WILL KNOW and Damin will try to make you his EVIL QUEEN but you're like BUT NO THATS NOT COOL I JUST GRADUATED LIKE 3 YEARS AGO MAN MY FRIENDS TRUST ME I CANT THROW EVERYTHING AWAY

Okay now I'm just quoting my crazy ideas. Never leave me alone in a car with a cd bad fanfiction ideas happen.

ferdielance

#14 Post by ferdielance » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am

Like most crazy narcissists, Damien will show just enough vulnerability to keep the protagonist's hopes up before relapsing into bad behavior.

I don't think his psychology is all that complicated! He can be mysterious because, demon birth aside, there's no real secret to him (a lie isn't the same thing as a secret). If he had a meaningful mystery in his heart, he'd have to hide it; it's easier to conceal something that doesn't exist.

This emptiness makes sense. Because Damien doesn't really care for anyone - even himself, arguably - he can't make the human connections that give a person real depth. He can only look intriguing and hope someone mistakes evasion for subtlety.

It all ends in grief for the protagonist and self-pity for Damien. He'll probably blame her for whatever happens, too.

Oki

#15 Post by Oki » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 am

I don't think of Damien like that.

I think that most people who are narcissistic don't inevitably know only loneliness and sorrow. If being a bad person was a terrible lonely experience nobody would ever be evil or lonely. I don't think that Hanako would write anyone who was so base as to be that predictable.

I don't think Damien can love anyone 'conventionally'. I think his idea of love has been warped and when he genuinely fell in love it well, tore him apart from the inside out as we saw. His psychology is this to me: He wants power and to be respected and powerful. To toy with those around him. Yet he has conflicting emotions because right beside those things he wants you.