Big Steve patch now available

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
hanako
Site Admin

Big Steve patch now available

#1 Post by hanako » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm

A bunch of scenes involving Big Steve have been added, including the chance to encounter him at the final dance.

In keeping with his status as a sort-of hidden character, these scenes may not all be very easy to find, and at least one of them is intentionally going to trip you up the first time. :)

I'll give you a hint for one of them - visit the arcade on the first weekend after Christmas Break.

To find the new content you probably want to start with a character save no later than the beginning of December, so that you can have the "bunny encounter" on the snowy weekend.

Please test out the new content and give comments and feedback. Some bits may not be final yet... this had been sitting on the shelf for a LONG time and may not quite have recaptured the mood.
Last edited by hanako on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flwriter124

#2 Post by flwriter124 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:47 pm

im so happy you finally got to finish this add-on! *high-five* i seem to be having a problem downloading it though twice when i tried i got this in a notepad
"
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 116, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\warp.py", line 101, in warp
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b
"
hoping its something easy to fix?

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Is this happening when you push the update button, or what?

What version were you on before updating?

flwriter124

#4 Post by flwriter124 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

im using 1.0.25.7

i click updater,then enable beta versions, click to download the update, it acts like everythings fine and downloading but then that comes up, the game restarts without actually downloading it

mouse_girl

#5 Post by mouse_girl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Really excited for this update. ^^ Thank You.

I'm also getting the same error message though and it won't let me update.

mouse_girl

#6 Post by mouse_girl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm

mouse_girl wrote:Really excited for this update. ^^ Thank You.

I'm also getting the same error message though and it won't let me update.

Sorry for double posting, but I managed to get it to update by restarting and running the game as Admin. :oops:

Spiky Caterpillar

#7 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:39 pm

The "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'" error in warp.py is caused by a bug in the interaction between the UAC version of the updater and some experimental code (introduced in 1.0.21).

You should be able to work around the bug by either running the updater as Administrator or by finding and deleting the file 'dlc.rpyc' before running the updater. Once you update to 1.0.30 (currently in alpha) you should be able to update normally to future versions.

flwriter124

#8 Post by flwriter124 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

thanks so much! i deleted the file and it worked :)

ElCantardelaLunaOscura

#9 Post by ElCantardelaLunaOscura » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 am

I have played most of it, You and Big Steve go to the food court and notice that the bakery closed down. But then you go I think the next Saturday and Virginia telles you about the bakery, and Mary Sue acts af if she didn't know it. Just that, I find it a little strange, but the rest is excellent.

EDIT: I hace completed it now!!! OMG! He's adorable, it looks like he's not used to that but that he likes you too, but There isn't a way where you can dance with him right?. I loved it!
Last edited by ElCantardelaLunaOscura on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Y a pesar de que no estás, te llevo cosida a mi piel.
Tu recuerdo se ha instalado en mi a vivir.
Y aunque nunca volverás, busco en el trastero de mi
ese beso abandonado que nunca te di."

FantasyFan

#10 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 am

Yay!

EDIT: OMG, the new scenes are SO cute. Mr. Hoppity, I love Mr. Hoppity. And Big Steve's ball attire, awesome!

Quick question: How many times do you have to visit the bakery to keep it from closing down? I'd like to know so I can update my walkthrough.

junsei7

#11 Post by junsei7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Thinking of Big Steve at Christmas time actually made me *squee* out loud. That's just embarrassing... :lol:

I do think it might be nice if you can send Mr Hoppity a Valentine as well as Big Steve. I think by that point MS would realise that that would go down well with Steve?

I do think the tone works, both for him and into the game as a whole - he's so very awkward and sweet, but it still feels genuine and understandable. It feels like he's rather taken aback that MS has gone to so much trouble to keep seeking him out and he's REALLY not used to that, but he wants to try. And I think she strikes a good tone of flirty and encouraging without pushing him too far too fast.

LOVE his outfit for the dance!! Ha!

I'm so glad this was added in - it's so adorable. Though my heart broke a little at probably not seeing him again... Was there something else I could have done?! Why won't he love me more? :) *ahem* Thank you Hanako et al!

** I did notice that Farspeech gets called Farspeak as well (in the final exam) if that matters?

Oki

#12 Post by Oki » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:34 am

I'm actually pretty disappointed. The minor flirting didn't make up for what felt like 60% mean ness. I've actually kind of lost some love for the game after it. I felt like Steve's stress didn't match up with anything we'd seen from anything else, he is especially disinterested and always has an excuse for being rude to you. So maybe I'm the only one, but I feel a little let down overall. The moods sort of wonky.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm really really sorry I sounded overly justifying here! Plz no hate me? :)
ElCantardelaLunaOscura wrote: Just that, I find it a little strange, but the rest is excellent.
Yeah, that Virginia convo shouldn't happen if you already had the other one. Will be fixed at some point. (things a bit mixed up at the moment due to net problems)

Also yes, you can dance with him and get a photo at the end, but you have to have managed the successful coffee outing first. But no passionate romance, because this is still a tiny side thing and not a real path. :)

As for FantasyFan's question: Five.
Last edited by hanako on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oki

#14 Post by Oki » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, you asked for feedback. I'm a lot less likely to give it if I just get excused and long paragraphs of explanation. We can't all like it, and what good is feedback if it's all the same?

That being said, I'm gonna go save the bakery now.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#15 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm not telling you not to give feedback, your feedback was good! I appreciate your feedback, I thought you would feel ignored if I didn't answer and that that would make you feel less inclined to respond in the future.

I am absolutely positively not ordering you to like things you don't like, for goodness sake, it's *good* if people like different things. Since this is a stage at which things I've written may still end up being changed, it's definitely useful to see multiple opinions - but it's also a stage where I'm likely to explain what I was trying to do in order to provide a basis for evaluation.

*sigh*

look, I'm having a really rough week here, okay? Apologies in advance for being a serious grouch right now. But please feel free to argue with me!