The purchased game, version, and Norton

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Bane Doyle

The purchased game, version, and Norton

#1 Post by Bane Doyle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello. A friend of mine let me play this game at her house and I have been looking forward to purchasing it for a while (though I can't do so right at this moment). However, I have Norton installed on my computer.

This morning I tried to use the newest version of Ren'Py and... well, that did not end well. It ended up deleting it. Norton does not like new programs that have not apparently been whitelisted.

I wanted to make sure that before I buy it the game will either have no problems, or that I will have to whitelist it myself from the get go (or turn it off, both of which I am unsure of how to do at this moment). And what version is it to start with? An older version you simply update? Or the newest?

Please bear with me, I just like to make sure everything goes off well in these cases... ^^;

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 pm

As you probably know, Norton automatically flags anything new as "potentially dangerous", which is a large pain for indie developers. (And for various other things that Norton does which are even more unhelpful, Norton itself is sometimes classed as malware. I would not generally recommend that people use it.)

The demo, at least, we submitted to them to be whitelisted and they said they'd done so. You should be able to download it without difficulty.

Since I don't use their software myself, I don't know if it has any issues with the full version. I don't think anyone has specifically reported any, but I'll have to defer to other forum members on that one, and how to give directions for turning their over-reacting software off if necessary.

When you buy the game you will receive an installer with a playable version but not the newest version. Updating to the most recent build is done from within the game.

Bane Doyle

#3 Post by Bane Doyle » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you very much for the information! I actually already have the demo and have finished it half way (i plan on getting that demo discount when I finish it).

While Norton is good at keepin g my computer safe, I will admit that it can be a huge pain at times. (Poor Ren'Py...) If no one has issues with the purchased version that they have updated so far, then I think I should be fine. (Members, shout out just iin case please!)

I can't wait to get this game and play it fully! I had just gotten past the.... Treasure thing when my friend booted me off and I haven't made it back to play siince. There is a grumpy old professor I want to know more about!