Favorites/Thoughts on the Datables? (Both on/off routes)

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.

Favorite Romantic Character?

Damien
24%
Donald
23%
Grabiner
37%
Ellen
10%
Virginia
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 254

MuscleSpark

#31 Postby MuscleSpark » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 am

As a male, I have to say that I really enjoyed Ellen's path the most, primarily due to the cuteness factor I think.
Although, Grabby's path is a close second since it was incredibly interesting, especially if you screw up and it takes a nasty turn.
Donald was alright too, dude is a total bro so it was quite good.(I admit I laughed at the JUST KISS ME ALREADY.)
Damien I found to be the least enjoyable one due to all the brooding and bishie, can't handle that stuff. (Although that twist near the end was unexpected if you weren't paying attention or it was your first path.)

AppleJuice

Sweet Donald and Tough Grabiner

#32 Postby AppleJuice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm

LOL.

I registered just so that I could post my thoughts on this topic. Which is kind of funny to me.

*ehem*

I'll make this quick.

Donald is like sweets, cookies, cakes and marshmallows with hot cocoa.

Hieronymous Grabiner ... well, he made me scream like little girls getting her own Ipad as birthday present.

P/S: Grabiner looks a lot younger in the picture rather than the character itself. :o
" From your parents, you learn love, laughter and how to put one foot after the other. But when books are opened and internet is accessed, you discover you have wings. "

RyanA

#33 Postby RyanA » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Out of the options available, I think Ellen's may have been, but for me none of them were to my liking. I was sort of expecting a shy social outcast character who turned out to be a real charmer...Just more characters and more variety, really. It's a great game and story but, moar!!

Ariko

#34 Postby Ariko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 am

Professor Grabiner!

I've already posted my thoughts in a more bumped up thread/poll, but suffice to say that like some others here, I am an older player (mid 20s) and therefore the professor got my attention as he was more mature, though William is a close second, but he is not unavailable as a love interest in the game.

Oki

#35 Postby Oki » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I think Professor Grabiner is easily the winner of the not screwed up in the head romances. One of my favorite books has a romance featuring a woman who cut off a guys hand..then married him. Is it a surprise to you that I like Damien's story after hearing that? Ah messed up romance. I have to say though Professor Grabiner is very easy to play straight and still appreciate. You feel ...like a total bimbo the whole time during Damien's playthrough. But Prof Grabiner is a playthrough that makes the game good all on it's own!

mizumori_fumaira

Re: Sweet Donald and Tough Grabiner

#36 Postby mizumori_fumaira » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm

AppleJuice wrote:LOL.

Hieronymous Grabiner ... well, he made me scream like little girls getting her own Ipad as birthday present.

P/S: Grabiner looks a lot younger in the picture rather than the character itself. :o

I agree!!! Grabiner made me squealing like a silly school girl XDDD

so, i can't help myself but write a trilogy for my MC and him :DD. I've published the first part of first story, but it's still invinsible, maybe tomorrow it'll appear (check on fanfiction.net).

if you all could, please read and review it, so in the next part i wouldn't be messed up XD

Oki

#37 Postby Oki » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Hrm. Coming back a little later I really want to explain my preference for Damien now.

Let me put it this way, Damien is really interesting. From the way Hanako talks it seems obvious that he is not intended to be a healthy romantic partner in any way shape or form. But mere context can tell you that. Really what's awesome is what it implies.

Think of it, Damien is a user. Really bad. He is egocentric and was raised to be that way, and was using so many people his reputation proceeds him immensely. But he never did the one thing that might have actually prepared him for what he does in the game. Love someone genuinely, and then hurt them. Hell, nobody knows the truth about him and everyone distrusts him. For good reason. I'm pretty sure he never expected or even wanted to love anyone, just to be powerful.

And then the implication. He doesn't even realize he loves you until you're dying after showing how much you cared for him. Literally, if you tell him no he throws a Damien fit and runs away forever, but if you tell him yes, even if you hate him, you survive. Which means even if you hate him for it, Damien realized he loved you when he tried to kill you. Using all those people did nothing but make him more selfish, so when he finally did care about somebody it was someone he NEEDED to kill.

I think that's why I appreciate this character so much. He is so messed up. At least if you never spent so much time with him, he's gonna just be evil Damien. But in this story, you literally win him over with your sheer character. He used every trick in the book on you and yet still fell in love with you despite not being his real self at the time. Not to mention, he is so in love with you it's driving him insane. The implications for the future also interest me....oh Damien, you stalker boyfriend you. You'll probably be jealous and clingy. Awesome.

Yeah...I'm weird.

Benazir

#38 Postby Benazir » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 am

Oki, I feel the same way about Damien. :)

Oki

#39 Postby Oki » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:30 am

For some reason I just keep playing his route over and over. The depth, argh!

Jenkouken

#40 Postby Jenkouken » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 am

Hands down Grabiner is my favorite ^_^

His character has wonderful depth. His motivations are precise, he doesn't apologize for who he is, and he has a strong character. His flaws don't seem like flaws, but facets of his character. His witty dialog with the main character is delicious ^_^ (once they're more friendly)

Gripe: I didn't care for his somewhat violent scene... like I would expect him to be extreme... his trust was shattered and he's under tremendous stress, but, I would have expected him to hit the wall next to you with a spell, rather than pin you against it violently, ya know? Felt outside of his character. But that gripe aside, loved his story.

I was really hoping for more of his story! I'm going to check out the fanfiction ^_^. Crossed my fingers that there would be a dramatic finish where the main character needed to rescue him from the Otherworld, face his fears involving Violet, have to admit his feelings for the main character in a climactic moment, meet his father, etc etc.

Going to go check out the fanfiction for some more Grabiner!

As for my least favorite romance, definitely Damien. I got my hopes up when you see the echoes of the past in the gym, that he wasn't intentionally killing you, but being controlled by a demonic half. But, it turned out he was just a sick, bastard. I loved the way Ellen and Virginia do their best (realistically) to convince you of that point - they're very good friends =p.

On the subject of the romances overall; it feels like you can decide what kind of Mary Sue (lol) you're playing based on the romance you pursue. So it's neat there's an option for however you want to go.

Loved the side characters too! Wish I could have pursued William - he looked almost as fun as Grabiner. William and Grabiner felt like the most interesting ^_^

Oki

#41 Postby Oki » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, I don't blame you for saying Damien, you've got to be a special type to like him. (Insane. Like me!) But at the same time, I appreciate that Hanako made him a genuinely bad person. It's original, an it gives an interesting twist to it.

I think Grabby is by far and large the one with the biggest fanbase!

BSaito

#42 Postby BSaito » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 am

Ellen. I like shy nerdy girls and the whole rationalist/Bayesian Conspiracy thing really won me over. That, and as a hetero male my only other real option is Virginia and she really isn't my type. Although on my first playthrough I didn't look up what the available romance routes were and aimed for Suki.

Soulbringer

#43 Postby Soulbringer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:31 am

Ariko wrote:Professor Grabiner!

I've already posted my thoughts in a more bumped up thread/poll, but suffice to say that like some others here, I am an older player (mid 20s) and therefore the professor got my attention as he was more mature, though William is a close second, but he is not unavailable as a love interest in the game.

Somewhat agree with the thoughts above... just a bit sad that people call being in the mid 20s for older :cry: - however im pretty sure im biased considering my occupation as a teacher >.<

Donald... preffere maturity... and not trouble makers... (as you can guess the above has something to do with it)

Damien is a classic route, so not much to say about that besides that i played it with the intention of getting the classical story of love conquers all (and im actually rather happy about the near end scenes) :P

I am not all that into the Ellen and Virginia route, but thats mostly cause of the characters, in themselves they are enjoyable however the characters i preffer those mentioned above both for their personality and the story.

Anondyne

#44 Postby Anondyne » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:16 am

I liked Donald's romance the best, simply because it can be played almost like a bromance until the very end. I'm not big on great romantic moments, or extravagant gestures. So the whole sweet, almost playful nature of Donald path felt just right for my Mary Sue. Plus the scene where he lifts you up to help with the cleaning. Totally hot.

Grabiner path is second, but only because Forced Marriage is my favourite romance trope. I think I read too many bodice rippers growing up. Without the marriage, Grabiner would have been just way too high maintenance to warrant further time.

Damien comes in last, and least. Mostly because I'm not a believer of love at first sight, and the relationship between Damien and MS is just so on/off that I cannot ever see MS having anything more than slightly irritated friendship for him. She'd never let him have her soul just after couple of dates. And there's no way that the man in the relationship is allowed to have the more fabulous hair.

Not a very romantic personality, me. Though why do I keep playing otome games, I do not know...

Didn't play neither Virginia nor Ellen. I find it difficult to romance female characters in any games. Well, not difficult. Uninteresting is perhaps the right word. Guess my hetero is showing. Sorry about that. :lol:

Wraith_Magus

#45 Postby Wraith_Magus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah, I was about to say, seems to be just a LITTLE bit of a hetero bias in this poll. Poor Virginia...

For what it's worth, I tended to prefer the friendships to the romances... or rather, felt that they seemed more like friendships through most of the game, and then it just arbitrarily had a kiss at the end.

My first reaction to Damien was to just start outright laughing at his lines because they were so cheesy and melodramatic, and I just couldn't get into his path at all.

Donald, I didn't think I'd like at first, just for the immaturity, but I warmed up.

Grabiner, I may have just been overlaying some of my own relations with my real-life professors and teachers a little much, being as I've been a teacher's pet at least a few times in real life, so the whole romance thing just didn't appeal. I rather looked at his path as a way for the character to get approval and validation from an authority figure than anything like a romance.

That's not to say I didn't like it, I just liked the friendship path more.

I actually like Ellen's path the most, however, simply because I can most empathize with her and understand her story and situation and goals. I most want to just see a more scientifically literate Sue and her best friend Ellen working together subversively getting the magical world to believe in science without knowing it. It's just the one storyline I want to see more of more than all the others - playing with practical, scientific applications of magic is exactly up my alley, and Ellen is just fun to read her dialogue.

The romance in the path, if you go that route, is basically a sidenote, so I can't even say I like the friendship path more than the other, since they're basically the same thing except one has a kiss at the dance, and the other doesn't. If the romance were actually written out more, so that the player could actually see and believe some chemistry was going on, there, I think there would be more interest in this path. As it stands, I just think of this as a "best friends" path.

Further, it would give my character an excuse to stand in front of a golem that shoots exactly 1785 volts of electricity from its arms while shouting "FOR PHILOSOPHY!"

And then... well, poor Virginia. She's just not getting out of that Friend Zone.

Return to “Magical Diary”