Favorites/Thoughts on the Datables? (Both on/off routes)

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.

Favorite Romantic Character?

Damien
24%
Donald
23%
Grabiner
37%
Ellen
10%
Virginia
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 254

Anarchy

#46 Postby Anarchy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 am

You should read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, if you haven't already. :3

Serenity_Hotaru

#47 Postby Serenity_Hotaru » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:38 pm

My favorite is Grabiner. (Harry Potter FTW! lol) I've always had a thing for older men. And british accents, in my opinion, are always cute.

Donald is second. He's such a troublemaker and he's also extremely cute too.

Damien (manipulative b*stard) was my favorite at first because of the whole people-bully-me-I'm-innocent act. Plus, he had wings and a completely different look than the other characters. But after I played his path once, I can't stand to do it again because of the suck-out-your-soul-and-try-to-kill-you thing. And now, after playing the other characters' path, I despise Damien.

Virginia and Ellen's paths aren't my favorites. To me, they're kind of boring.
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Annoying the community with useless information and questions since Day 1 of my membership.

ferdielance

#48 Postby ferdielance » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 am

Ellen's path seemed to have been written just for me. Wow. Grabiner's path was also generally excellent.

Damien's was a smart, critical take on a lot of the more eyebrow-raising routes in otome games, and Donald's is sweet. Virginia's was - well, it seemed awkward on some level, but it was nice to have someone who went for high Weird.

(but where is the Balthasar path? i love plants)

hanako
Site Admin

#49 Postby hanako » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Considering your Fungomon adventures if there were bonus Balthasar scenes I'd probably have to rope you in to help write them! :)

ferdielance

#50 Postby ferdielance » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:50 am

I've done that kind of fungus-consulting stuff before, so in the strange event of Balthasar bonus scenes, I'd be more than happy to chip in.

In the meantime, I await Wolf Hall with bated breath!

lambentLogic

#51 Postby lambentLogic » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:19 pm

I adore Ellen. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is one of my favored fan fictions for a reason.

Virginia's path made me go and salvage a character I had created purely for scientific testing of antisocial behavior, and twisted me into caring about someone. Sheesh, the nerve. I appreciated the inclusion of what seems to be an asexual romance, it's not something I've often seen done.

Donald's sweet and fun. The counterpart to his troublemaking behavior is he's always helping someone to make up for it. :P I enjoyed spending time with him.

Damien... there could've been something there, but unfortunately, I have had some difficulty aligning the characters who would have been eager to use his loyalty against her enemies with the path options to earn that loyalty. Perhaps if I try roleplaying as an obsessed ex-cultist or something equally bizarre.

Grabiner's path is ... interesting, but teacher/student romance is ... creepy ... I guess. Not exactly the best path for me.

I very often take Pastel's free kiss just for the halibut. :P

lilyofthevalley

#52 Postby lilyofthevalley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

ok, now I've played almost all stories possible except donald 's friendship.. I clicked other, beaucause, each one is interresting in his own way

I tried first with Damien, because, he's the most obvious.. and find it quite thrilling. When it came to the big part I was taken by the story and thinking " sorry my little witch, it sounds so tricky I know I'going to regret it but.. I must know what's next".

Then both Grabby routes. I haven't got the divorce trophy, so I still have some things to discover. it was odd. Odd but funny and very original. I liked the last choice you have.

Donald: Nice but no sooo interresting than the others in my opinion, refreshing but a bit too classic for me.

Virginia: nice to go to the dance with one of your friend, but I liked a lot the not-so romantic ending she get's .. between friendship and romance, it's endearing. And I find her afro hairstyle sooo cute!

Ellen: I prefer her as a friend. She's a bit like me: science addict and not confident in herself when it come's to ask guys out. And it is so strange to have my character dating a girl like... me

outside the main: oh my, the side story with Big Steve is so adorable. I liked it when he says " mr hoppity thinks you are very forward" or something like this.. and duh! free chocolate is always a good present. plus, he seems to dance quite like I do, so yes, he's one of my favorites and not so easy to spot!
By the way, Mr Hoppity, should now turn the official mascot for the game :D

A little regret: a bit sad that William s not datable. Just because you know..asking the 3 siblings out, would have been awsome (And turn MS into the biggest female Don Juan of the Academy.. beware Pastel, MS will defeat you!)

ark99k

#53 Postby ark99k » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Honestly I can't decide between Damien and Donald. Donald is funny,sweet, nice, cute and a little crazy and Damien is cute, nice,smart, and ( once you get past the part where he tries to kill you ) loyal.
I also liked Big Steve and Mr.Hoppity. So cute and awesome!
But can someone tell me why is Grabbiener so popular?! (Not to be rude or anything) Am I the only one who remembers not only is he way to old for your character, but also you were forced to marry him?
★Shining like a star!★

Oki

#54 Postby Oki » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Replayed the game again and it's still Damien. Damn you you loyal bastard!

thezooqueen

#55 Postby thezooqueen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:30 pm

I love Grabner and terribly love all the Grabner FanFic :) So much potential there! I wish that storieline could continue!

Donald would be my second fav!

HienFan

Re: Favorites/Thoughts on the Datables? (Both on/off routes)

#56 Postby HienFan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 pm

The only datable I dislike is Damien I dislike bad boy types who manipulate people

As for the others

I like Grabiner and I'm glad his route is not romantic until the very end and even that you can refuse if you want

Ellen is cute and I really like her story

Virginia's story is decent enough and she's likable

Donald is my favourite though, I like playful mischievous nice guys no bad boys for me

SilverBloodIllusion

#57 Postby SilverBloodIllusion » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I love all the paths! I don't really have a favorite...

I love Grabiner because he's so grumpy and Snape-like!... all the way down to the "I'm going to scare the hell out of all the students so that they won't get themselves hurt" mentality. I'm in the middle of writing a fic that was originally a Snape fic, but it works so much better for Grabiner because they end up married... I really sure put some dedicated time into writing...

While I enjoyed playing Damien's path, it did creep me out a little. If someone tried to steal my soul for power and glory I would hate that person forever and ever... The idea that he couldn't do it is kind of cute, but the fact remains that he tried...

I would totally date Donald IRL. His path had me giggling and made my heart skip. I would probably end up yelling at him for getting into trouble... or pranking me... or scaring me... but I would secretly love him all the more for it... *sigh* Donald...

Ellen's path was just priceless... especially the one involving the Conspiracy! I'm super analytical and I would totally be the person trying to combine magic and science... especially if people were telling me not to. "But why?" "How come?" "Why not?" "What if?" "But what if I did this? No? What about something else?" These questions float around my head all the time and they don't like to go unanswered.

I thought Virginia's path was probably the funniest... in a horrible sadistic laugh at your friend's pain kind of way. It did make me wonder though, what's going to happen to her if we didn't take her path and help her solve her "problem"? It's still valid even if she doesn't know it is... and since "he" doesn't remember it, and she doesn't think it means anything... And then there's the relating point on Donald's path... Well? What if they never remember? What happens then?

I love the Big Steve path, but he and I would never work IRL because I hate coffee... I can't drink it. I can't stand the smell, and I would never want to talk about it... but Mr. Hoppity... I would totally have kissed Mr. Hoppity...

I know there is that one event with Pastel, but I didn't think that were really any other mini-paths... At least, not that I found...

Potsdam is my favorite character, hands down. Followed by Donald, than Ellen.
I wish William had been datable... I wish that there had been a threesome relationship since that appears to be acceptable in the magical world (DamienXSueXWilliam all the way! So much heart break and drama!)... Probably my favorite game ever...

Oki

#58 Postby Oki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:18 pm

New thought, on Grabiner's route when you stand up Damien-

his comment pleases me immensely. "Someone else already got the prize. Well played."

yinello

#59 Postby yinello » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

My favorite is Donald. I love how you help him with his family problems and get him less into detentions. He's really sweet too!

I was a bit hesitant with Grabiner because student-teacher relationships really aren't my thing (I feel if a teacher wants to date a student or vice-versa, they should wait until the student is done with the school because otherwise there will be powerplay). Still the path was done quite excellently and I can totally understand why people fall for Grabiner.

Damien... It's not that his path is bad but every sign pointed towards 'run away'. He's not my type and honestly I wouldn't recommend anyone dating him. He's too manipulative, even after he doesn't kill you. It's too much 'crazy stalker'.

Ellen is adorable and intelligent, I just love her. If Donald didn't exist she would have been my dream match (sorry Ellen! I just love people who make me laugh).

Virginia's story is superoriginal and I liked it a lot. I was aware that asexual people don't go as deep into romance as Hollywood likes to depict, but it was definitely a new experience. I really liked how I ended up caring for her so much that I wouldnt mind even if we never went further than a kiss.

Big Steve is nice but eh. Not really my type. Mr. Hoppity is adorable though!

Pastel is sexy and I would've loved to romance her if I could. She tried to enchant me with a perfume or something and I thought that was hilarious. I really want to know what her story is, considering this perfume enchant, the fact that V says she likes to flirt with everyone, that Ellen says she would never peek when someone is undressing and that her mother is famous. She's very interesting.

I can't say I'm too surprised at the poll results (games like these sadly have the image that only young straight girls would play them). All of my friends didn't want to try this game. It was only after they happened to see me playing that they realized it's not your typical dating sim! Still with the arrival of LLTQ Hanako can change more minds!
Last edited by yinello on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BesiegedOrange

#60 Postby BesiegedOrange » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm

I liked Grabiner's route the most. I enjoyed seeing these two very different characters grow to respect and learn from each other; the romance was simply a bonus. :)

Donald's was my favorite as a romantic relationship, but I also really liked Ellen's because we got to see her more mischievous side.

Damien, on the other hand, just isn't the guy for me. I appreciate his route and what it accomplished storywise, but since I was never drawn to the brooding bad-boy type it didn't have the impact on me that it would have on someone else.

Return to “Magical Diary”