Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

#61 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Try holding down shift before/while launching the game and changing the display options.

Most problems on launch go away after that, if not ask again :)

zero_traveler

#62 Postby zero_traveler » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 am

hanako wrote:Try holding down shift before/while launching the game and changing the display options.

Most problems on launch go away after that, if not ask again :)

Thanks that seems to have fixed it.

I forgot to mention, but when I was having the problem, It was getting the same 61 corrupted files as the person that posted before my entry.

IE: This one.
NarrowMargin wrote:I tried verifying the files, it found 61 that needed fixing. It fixed them, I verified it again, everything was okay. I ran the game, same computer freeze and I had to reboot. I tried verifying the files again after that and it's back to 61 that needed fixing.

I agree it sounds like Steam, so I've posted on their forums and if no one comes up with anything I'll try doing battle with their customer support.

hanako
Site Admin

#63 Postby hanako » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am

Those files are not corrupted, that's a normal and expected result. It's because various files are touched/recompiled when you run the game on your machine. It's just updating to reconfigure itself to your own machine's settings. So those files will always be out of sync with the factory distribution.

It's when fewer files are marked out of sync that something's gone horribly wrong in the launch process. :)

(With the earlier person, the reason I suggested reverifying was because of the IO error traceback.)

Captain Catbee

#64 Postby Captain Catbee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello! I purchased Magical Diary in last week's Humble Bundle and I am very excited to start playing it. However, I am having trouble launching the game. I believe my version is 1.38.0.1 (I'm having trouble finding the exact version because I cannot launch the game and the version is not listed in the file properties for the .exe - but I'm assuming the one included in the bundle is the latest version.)

When attempting to launch the game, I briefly see what appears to be a small splash screen for the game, and then it disappears and I see this error message:

I tried looking in the game's folders but I do not see anything that looks like an error log I can post (of course, I can't upload a traceback because the game doesn't launch in the first place). Info about my computer/what I've tried-

I am running Windows 7 (latest version) on a laptop, and my native resolution is 1600x900. I have 12GB RAM, Intel i7 processor, and 1GB dedicated graphics on an ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card (I doubt it's a hardware/specs issue since it doesn't seem like a particularly demanding game but I figure it's worth mentioning). I initially installed the game on Steam, but I uninstalled it and manually installed the game without Steam instead after reading about issues with the Steam overlay in this thread, which did not solve the problem. I've also tried basic checks like restarting Steam, restarting my computer, etc. I also tried launching while holding shift, which also didn't work. I'm a bit at a loss for what to do from here, so I hope someone can help! Please let me know if you need more information than what I've posted here.

Spiky Caterpillar

#65 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Things to try:
If your install has the 'Play in Safe Mode' and 'Play in GL mode' batch files, try starting it through each of them.

Try quitting all other programs - in particular, we've gotten reports that Science Girls crashes when initializing sound on some machines if Skype is running when the game starts.

If either of these fixes it, your dxdiag output may be helpful.

Try reverifying files after an unsuccessful Steam startup - since the game byte-compiles some of its code on first run, the number of files replaced will hint at where the crash is happening.

Try copying the install folder somewhere other than Program Files (x86) so the game will have permission to create the logfiles - opengl.txt and MagicalDiary.exe.log, if created, are useful.

Are there any .fail files in %APPDATA%\RenPy\MagicalDiaryHorseHall\ ?

Captain Catbee

#66 Postby Captain Catbee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 pm

After making the previous post I actually tried launching without any other programs open, which didn't work either. I also tried reverifying files while I was still trying to launch the Steam install- I was informed that there were 61 trouble files, which seems to be normal according to this thread.

I did not find any .fail files in that folder; all I see is opengl.txt. The content:

Code: Select all

<function version at 0x035B1030>
fullscreen mode.

Do you think it might help if I change it to windowed mode? I know that my computer doesn't always like launching things in fullscreen (especially games that run in a lower resolution than my display), and because launching goes as far as displaying presplash.png it seems like it might be the switch to fullscreen that snags the process.

I also don't think I see the files for safe mode and GL mode- do you know which file names and extensions I should be looking for? In the meantime I'll try moving the folder somewhere else like you said.

*** EDIT: I was a bit annoyed with how generic the error message I was getting was (and I imagine that makes support more difficult as well), so I checked the event viewer and found a more detailed log:

Faulting application name: MagicalDiary.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4918019c
Faulting module name: PYTHON26.DLL, version: 2.6.5150.1013, time stamp: 0x4ba3e3f1
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000553de
Faulting process id: 0x17f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf508eb561256f
Faulting application path: C:\Users\EllaBee\My Documents\My Games\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\MagicalDiary.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\EllaBee\My Documents\My Games\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\PYTHON26.DLL
Report Id: 0116a324-bc82-11e3-af1a-bcaec50e965e

**** Edit Edit: I just realized I forgot to mention I'm running 64-bit Windows, if that changes anything.

Spiky Caterpillar

#67 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks for the error details - those tell me that the crash appears to be happening somewhere in a DLL.

The batch files are 'Play in safe mode.bat' and 'Play in GL mode.bat' in the same directory as the exe.
(And yes, windowed mode is generally more reliable)

If you don't have the batch files, try creating a new file named 'safemode.bat' in the same directory as the exe, containing the following code:

set RENPY_RENDERER=sw
set RENPY_DISABLE_FULLSCREEN=1
set RENPY_DISABLE_SOUND=pss,mix
MagicalDiary.exe

and running it. If it works, you can fix the video settings in the in-game options.

Captain Catbee

#68 Postby Captain Catbee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

That worked, thanks so much! I'm not entirely sure what all was going on with that, but if it's working now I have no complaints :)

alinka909

#69 Postby alinka909 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi! I'm having some problems. A few months ago I got a new computer and now that I have some time I decided to redownload the game. Every time I open it I get a black screen and background music. I tried troubleshooting compatibility, but that did not work.

hanako
Site Admin

#70 Postby hanako » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:15 pm

What sort of computer are you using?

Most launch problems can be addressed by holding down shift while you launch and changing the display options. For better information than that it helps to know more about your computer.

alinka909

#71 Postby alinka909 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:06 am

hanako wrote:What sort of computer are you using?

Most launch problems can be addressed by holding down shift while you launch and changing the display options. For better information than that it helps to know more about your computer.

ASUS ROG Series G751J

Spiky Caterpillar

#72 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:50 pm

alinka909 wrote:

ASUS ROG Series G751J

Running Windows, I presume?

Okay, the first thing to try is going to the directory the game is installed in. There should be a file called 'opengl.txt' (or just 'opengl', if your computer is set to hide file extensions) in there; send it to me at http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html . (We want this first because the fixes might make it harder to tell what's going wrong.)

There will also be a pair of files named 'Play in safe mode.bat' and 'Play in GL mode.bat'. Run 'Play in safe mode', see if it works. If not, run the 'Play in GL mode' file.

Other things to try - pressing 'F' while the game is running should cause it to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode; a lot of the time a driver problem that breaks in fullscreen will be fine in windowed mode.

alinka909

#73 Postby alinka909 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:
alinka909 wrote:

ASUS ROG Series G751J

Running Windows, I presume?

Okay, the first thing to try is going to the directory the game is installed in. There should be a file called 'opengl.txt' (or just 'opengl', if your computer is set to hide file extensions) in there; send it to me at http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html . (We want this first because the fixes might make it harder to tell what's going wrong.)

There will also be a pair of files named 'Play in safe mode.bat' and 'Play in GL mode.bat'. Run 'Play in safe mode', see if it works. If not, run the 'Play in GL mode' file.

Other things to try - pressing 'F' while the game is running should cause it to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode; a lot of the time a driver problem that breaks in fullscreen will be fine in windowed mode.

I found the problem. It turns out that I had to switch my graphics processor from the default.

Kisu

#74 Postby Kisu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Help...
Every time I try to play the game, it instantly crashes ^^"
I honestly don't know what I should do ._.

Here's the traceback-file:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 150, in script call
    call _gl_test
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 378, in script
    $ __gl_test()
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 378, in <module>
    $ __gl_test()
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 304, in _m1_00gltest__gl_test
    _gl_performance_test()
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 343, in _gl_performance_test
    result = ui.interact(suppress_overlay=True, suppress_underlay=True)
error: Couldn't find mapping for device (0)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 301, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\main.py", line 468, in main
    run(restart)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\main.py", line 139, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\execution.py", line 714, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 150, in script call
    call _gl_test
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 378, in script
    $ __gl_test()
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\ast.py", line 805, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\python.py", line 1461, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 378, in <module>
    $ __gl_test()
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 304, in _m1_00gltest__gl_test
    _gl_performance_test()
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 343, in _gl_performance_test
    result = ui.interact(suppress_overlay=True, suppress_underlay=True)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\ui.py", line 277, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\display\core.py", line 2427, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\display\core.py", line 3065, in interact_core
    ev = renpy.display.controller.event(ev)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\display\controller.py", line 133, in event
    start(ev.which)
  File "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\display\controller.py", line 124, in start
    c.init()
  File "pygame_sdl2/controller.pyx", line 160, in pygame_sdl2.controller.Controller.init (gen\pygame_sdl2.controller.c:1871)
error: Couldn't find mapping for device (0)

Windows-Vista-6.0.6002-SP2
Ren'Py 6.99.8.959+SPIKY

Game: MagicalDiary-1.1.4
Renderer: gl 1024x768
OS: Windows Vista 6.0.6002 x86 x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13, GenuineIntel
Vendor: Steam

Any idea what I could do to fix this? ^^" Please?

hanako
Site Admin

#75 Postby hanako » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:37 pm

quick questions - do you have a controller plugged in, and does the message change if you disconnect it? Does starting the game with the Safe Mode shortcut work any better?

Since this appears to be a Steam version you may wish to consult the troubleshooting thread here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211340/di ... 075889296/ where other users as well as Spiky and I can contribute.

Return to “Magical Diary”