Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
hanako
Site Admin

#46 Postby hanako » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 pm

If your order was just today, did you try all the different listed download links? It sounds like there might be a network hiccup somewhere that's causing your download to break.

Best guess would be to give it a few hours to let any network instability settle down, try the different mirrors again, and then if it still doesn't work email me and I can set up a special mirror for you that doesn't use BMT's servers?

Doliest

#47 Postby Doliest » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Thank you, I'll wait a few hours and try again.

Foelhe

#48 Postby Foelhe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 am

Hey, I think I just caught a problem with how the Sleep spell unlocks. You get most of the dual-type spells when both magic stats are high enough, but Sleep won't be added to your spellbook unless you're taking Green Magic class. White Magic won't do the trick no matter how high those skills get.

It's possible that's just a quirk of that particular spell, but it seemed like a glitch to me.

Edit: Oh look, I can follow directions. The version is 1.0.32. If you need me to post anything else just let me know - I'm a bit tech illiterate but I'm happy to help however I can.

Darksilverhawk

#49 Postby Darksilverhawk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 pm

This is a fairly small thing I've been noticing, but the game doesn't seem to be remembering the music volume set via the options menu properly when you quit and restart. I running the Steam version of the game on Windows 7, and always keep the music at about half the default volume, but whenever I start the game the music plays at full-blast until I go to the menu and change the volume DESPITE it displaying as being at my usual level on the bar itself when I initially open the menu.

In short, something seems to be broken where the sound volume appears to be remembered but isn't, or something. It's more of an annoyance than an actual problem, but I thought I'd let you know since no one else seems to have mentioned it.

zchronos

Steam Archievements don't works in Linux

#50 Postby zchronos » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 am

Hi.

I played the game for many hours and is very fun, but I can't unlock the Steam Archievements. In Windows works, but not in Linux. :(

[log]
Game update: AppID 211340 "Magical Diary", ProcID 29175, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
/home/zchronos/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Magical Diary/MagicalDiary.sh: l?nea 26: 29178 Abortado "`dirname \"$0\"`/lib/python" "-OO" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"
Trying again, because Steam API init failed.
[b]Debug: Achievement integration disabled due to previous crash.[/b]
[/log]

My [appmanifest_211340.acf]:
"AppState"
{
"appID" "211340"
"Universe" "1"
"StateFlags" "4"
"installdir" "Magical Diary"
"LastUpdated" "1372427954"
"UpdateResult" "0"
"SizeOnDisk" "90423274"
"buildid" "45438"
"LastOwner" "0"
"BytesToDownload" "80676432"
"BytesDownloaded" "80676432"
"UserConfig"
{
"name" "Magical Diary"
"GameID" "211340"
"Installed" "1"
"appinstalldir" "/home/zchronos/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Magical Diary"
"Language" "english"
}
"MountedDepots"
{
"211346" "348895287729721901"
"211347" "7104171854863769252"
}
}

zchronos

Steam Archievements don't works in Linux

#51 Postby zchronos » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 am

Hi.

I played the game for many hours and is very fun, but I can't unlock the Steam Archievements. In Windows works, but not in Linux.

The log:

[quote]Game update: AppID 211340 "Magical Diary", ProcID 29175, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
/home/zchronos/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Magical Diary/MagicalDiary.sh: l?nea 26: 29178 Abortado "`dirname \"$0\"`/lib/python" "-OO" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"
Trying again, because Steam API init failed.
Debug: Achievement integration disabled due to previous crash.[/quote]

hanako
Site Admin

#52 Postby hanako » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 am

There is an issue being investigated with Steam on Linux on some machines. It's probably best to go to the Steam thread >here< since this is a Steam-only issue.

Garnasha

#53 Postby Garnasha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:46 am

EDIT: Ok, I should've searched the forum more thoroughly, not just the bug report thread. SOLVED: http://hanakoforum.nfshost.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1800

Hmm, here's a problem with the Steam version of the client, version no. 1.0.36. I uploaded a screenshot to spikycaterpillar, but am not sure how to link to it here. I'll just describe it quickly and quote the additional information here: The screenshot shows the game background, with a dungeon environment in the viewport (I just started dungeon 3). Nothing else, no buttons, no navigation. Info with screenie:
Version: 1.0.36 (Steam version). OS: WinXP SP3.
Problem: See screenshot, all buttons are missing. However, dialogue and dialogue options aren't. The clickable buttons on the right side of the screen (save, load, options, etc) had been gone for a while now, and it seems linked to the savegame, since earlier saves do not have this problem. I paid it no attention since I could still access all functionality with right mouse button and it happened before and seemingly spontaneously resolved itself. But now it turns out the dungeon has been broken by it, and the buttons don't come back no matter what I do.

Repro: not sure, I think it might have triggered when using right mouse button (force of habit) to close something accessed through the options menu in-game. Possibly the console (though I never typed anything it recognized) or the save or load screen. There has also been a lot of saving and loading in that game to unlock storylines requiring high stats without outright console abuse, but I doubt that causes this kind of glitch.

CutiePie

Re: Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

#54 Postby CutiePie » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:18 am

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Exception: Data file corrupt

While running game code:
- script call at line 2103 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/chapter1.rpy
- script at line 150 of F:\home\deekoo\code\renpy-projects\tmp\MagicalDiary-1.0.9-win32/game/week8.rpy
- python at line 152 of F:\home\deekoo\code\renpy-projects\tmp\MagicalDiary-1.0.9-win32/game/week8.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\main.py", line 140, in run
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Chyn\My Documents\Magical Diary\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "F:\home\deekoo\code\renpy-projects\tmp\MagicalDiary-1.0.9-win32/game/week8.rpy", line 152, in <module>
Exception: Data file corrupt

While running game code:
- script call at line 2103 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/chapter1.rpy
- script at line 150 of F:\home\deekoo\code\renpy-projects\tmp\MagicalDiary-1.0.9-win32/game/week8.rpy
- python at line 152 of F:\home\deekoo\code\renpy-projects\tmp\MagicalDiary-1.0.9-win32/game/week8.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

------------------------------------------------------
I have found this error while playingthe game. Please fix it . I really want to play it again .

hanako
Site Admin

#55 Postby hanako » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 am

You have that error because you have downloaded a dodgy version of the game from another website.

Upgrade to the real version of the game with your registered license key and the problem will be fixed.

NarrowMargin

#56 Postby NarrowMargin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:14 am

Hi, I just bought the game on Steam, but when I tried to launch it I got a black screen and the computer froze requiring a reboot. Tried reinstalling, same result. I managed to get a traceback.txt which is as follows. Any suggestions?

IOError: Couldn't find file 'shortboy/skin.png'.

While executing init code:
- script at line 17 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy
- python at line 975 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 886 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 973 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 971 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 774 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 656 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 562 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\main.py", line 327, in main
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 975, in <module>
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 886, in auto_talker
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 973, in AngelTalkerSprite
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 971, in AngelSprite
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 774, in ShortBoySprite
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 656, in AssembledSprite
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 562, in cropped
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\exports.py", line 1179, in image_size
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\display\im.py", line 488, in load
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\renpy\loader.py", line 319, in load
IOError: Couldn't find file 'shortboy/skin.png'.

While executing init code:
- script at line 17 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy
- python at line 975 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 886 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 973 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 971 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 774 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 656 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.
- python at line 562 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

hanako
Site Admin

#57 Postby hanako » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:34 am

This sounds like a Steam problem - Steam was glitching up a lot last night with the L4D2 problems, and the error message suggests that either not all files are downloading or some of them were corrupting. Have you tried the verify file integrity options?

You might want to post this on the Steam community forum as well as here, in case it's something specific to that system - more customers from there would be able to see it and give their own suggestions.

NarrowMargin

#58 Postby NarrowMargin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:25 am

I tried verifying the files, it found 61 that needed fixing. It fixed them, I verified it again, everything was okay. I ran the game, same computer freeze and I had to reboot. I tried verifying the files again after that and it's back to 61 that needed fixing.

I agree it sounds like Steam, so I've posted on their forums and if no one comes up with anything I'll try doing battle with their customer support.

Spiky Caterpillar

#59 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:24 pm

That actually looks to me like something wrong with your hardware or drivers - the game shouldn't be able to lock up hard enough to require a restart no matter how corrupt the files are.

First diagnostic: go to D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary\game\ . Try to copy (not move) magical_diary.rpa to your desktop. If that crashes or gives you any error messages, then there's something wrong with the D:\ drive - possibly just filesystem corruption, possibly the physical hard drive has bad sectors.

If the file copies OK, hold down the shift key while starting and tell it to use software mode - a few 3D drivers are horribly glitchy. I don't think that's the problem, though.

If it is filesystem corruption, run scandisk (or whatever they call it now); if it's bad sectors, there are workarounds but your disk is probably dying.

zero_traveler

#60 Postby zero_traveler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:41 pm

I just got this game two(?) days ago in an indie bundle sale, though I installed it through Steam.

I am using Windows 8.1

When I run the game, the title screen pops up, and menu icons start appearing on the right side of the screen, (the left has a normal image of the winged character) when the descending star gets past the "Quit" button, and while the Quit button is still "appearing" the screen freezes. The BGM continues to play, but I cannot interact with the game in any perceptible way.

I will also include that I AM able to Alt-Tab out of the screen back to my desktop, but to close the program, I have to either Right-click and "Close Window" twice (specifically, It doesn't work if I only do it once), or go into my Task Manager and End Task manually.

Return to “Magical Diary”