Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
Spiky Caterpillar

#31 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am

The updater cannot write new files to the game directory, and so cannot update the game.

This can happen if the game files are owned by a different user account than the one you're trying to run the updater from, if you're trying to run the game from a read-only disc, or if some of the files or directories are read-only. It might also happen if another program is blocking write access to the directory (anti-virus software often protects programs from modification, which is good most of the time, not so good when you're trying to modify them), or possibly if UAC elevation failed somehow.

What version of the game do you have, and what operating system version do you have? Have you ever updated successfully in the past?

monele

#32 Postby monele » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello, I just had a trace report (which I uploaded using the in-game button) when trying to upload my yearbook.

I seem to be running version 1.0.13 (didn't even think to update before playing, I assumed the installer I got was the latest version).

Is there anything else I should do to complete the bug report? And should I actually update the game (I plan to have another run through soon). If so, should I stick to stable versions or are the beta/alpha stable enough to be worth a try? ^.^

hanako
Site Admin

#33 Postby hanako » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 pm

In general, never touch an alpha patch unless we have specifically told you as an individual to do so. They mostly exist for internal testing so that I can check new stuff that's JUST been added to the game to see if it explodes, which it may well do.

Beta means that I have given it a quick check and it didn't blow up in any obvious fashion so it's now available for general players to test. We haven't been adding new content lately so it's doubtful that there's anything super-interesting lurking in beta. If and when we can patch in new paths, betas are worth trying.

It's always a good idea to update to the latest stable - any bug you encounter might already have been dealt with! :) There's a changelog here: http://spikycaterpillar.com/magical_dia ... gelog.html - *most* of what's been added since is handfuls of bug fixes and the new wand item for the store.

monele

#34 Postby monele » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 am

Just updated to latest stable (1.0.18.1). I still get the yearbook upload crash, so I uploaded the traceback again (if only so you see it linked to that version too).

Spiky Caterpillar

#35 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:14 am

I've updated the yearbook so it handles non-ASCII characters somewhat better - if you update to alpha 1.0.27, you should probably be able to upload your yearbook page without crashing.

wings9008

How to delet

#36 Postby wings9008 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am

How can I delete a save file in the game, I am on windows 7..

thezooqueen

having same problems with this sites dull version as steam

#37 Postby thezooqueen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

I have the steam copy and I have uninstalled it from my computer and given it to my daughter, I purchased your full copy from your site because I wanted the python console thing. But after I go through all that I still have the same problem like it was a steam version. I so not know what I need to post for you. But my file folder has all the file I think. Considerably more than my steam file did. No previous files were left on the computer

hanako
Site Admin

#38 Postby hanako » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 am

The flag that makes the difference is stored in the game preferences, not the game install folder. It's the same location that has your saved games and other options like volume controls, speed controls, window/fullscreen controls and so on. It's also the file that keeps track of what text you've already read in the game to allow you to skip previously read text.

So uninstalling the Steam copy won't affect it in any way, it'll still be stored on that computer just like the saved games are.

That's why I've generally not been recommending that steam users buy the other version, because while it's POSSIBLE to delete that and get access to the console, it means throwing out some of your existing data. We do intend to put in an update to the Steam version at some point to make that console available, we've just been swamped with things to do lately.

If that's the only reason you bought another copy I can refund your purchase if you'd like.

Otherwise if you want we can tell you how to get rid of your old preferences file.

thezooqueen

#39 Postby thezooqueen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 am

Thank you please tell me how to get rid of the preference file If it is too hard then we can talk possible refund. I have several several games on steam

Spiky Caterpillar

#40 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 am

Search for a folder named MagicalDiaryHorseHall. In it, there will be a file called 'persistent'. Rename it to something else and the updater should become available.

The default locations are:
MacOS X: ~/Library/RenPy/MagicalDiaryHorseHall/
Windows XP and 2000: C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\RenPy\MagicalDiaryHorseHall\
Windows Seven and Vista: C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\MagicalDiaryHorseHall\

thezooqueen

#41 Postby thezooqueen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Thank you both so very much it appears to work now :) <3

koratelar

Steam Download

#42 Postby koratelar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 pm

I liked the demo, the demo worked well so I decided to purchase the full version through steam. However now the game won't work. I can't give much in details other then in character creation suddenly all input of my mouse and keyboard no longer function. the game continues to run but I can't type anything, I can't open task manager to force it to close, I can't move my mouse, I can't do anything but do a force shutdown of my computer. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nada. Not sure whats wrong, why its happening, just that it didn't happen until I downloaded the full version. As steam's support directed me here, I am here. I'm on windows Vista if thats any help.

Spiky Caterpillar

#43 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:13 am

If the *entire computer* is freezing up including task manager, that's probably a bug in something else that the game is triggering rather than a bug in the game itself - but there should be workarounds.

Questions:
- Do you have a traceback.txt or opengl.txt file in the game directory? (If yes to either, post or PM me the contents of them BEFORE doing anything else - if the problem is a video card incompatibility, we may be able to fix the game to avoid triggering it.)
- What video card are you using?
- If you look at Options: Advanced Video Settings from the title screen, what video driver does it say you're using?
- If you set it to use the software renderer, quit the game, and restart the game, does it work? (A *lot* of video cards glitch in accelerated mode, and a video card glitch can easily lock up the entire computer.)
- Does switching into windowed mode before starting the game work?
- if you install the demo, does it lock up in the same place?
- If you start Task Manager *before* starting the game, how much CPU is it using when it locks up and can you close it then?
- Have you noticed similar bugs with any other programs?

koratelar

#44 Postby koratelar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 am

The demo worked perfectly, I was already in windowed mode. However I managed to get into the appdata and deleted everything there and reinstalled the entire thing again and it finally works. Not sure what was wrong but that seemed to have fixed it. Thank you^^

Doliest

#45 Postby Doliest » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm honestly not sure who I should be asking about this, BMT or Hananko, but I bought the game online, got my order, and now the installer refuses to download off the site and onto my computer- it either never starts, or immediately downloads a 0 bit file listed as the installer that doesn't actually do anything. Does anyone know how I can actually get the game?

Return to “Magical Diary”