Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
hanako
Site Admin

#16 Postby hanako » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Don't downgrade unless you're willing to have to reinstall your entire game from scratch! There are big warnings telling you not to! Don't do it!

We're currently looking into the weirdness with the Wiggle Wand. It's definitely present in the later versions, but for whatever reason it won't show up in the store right now in anything updating straight to 1.0.20 or later from an early version. (At least, this behavior is confirmed in Windows. If you're using something other than Windows please let me know.) Not sure why, doing some tests, should hopefully have a new update later.

As best as I can tell everything else is working okay when updating - if you run into anything else strange please let us know.

Spiky Caterpillar

#17 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I believe the Wiggle Wand weirdness (and several other bugs in versions between 1.0.18.1 and 1.0.22) has been fixed as of beta 1.0.25.7.

Downgrading from anything between 1.0.22 and 1.0.18.1 to 1.0.18.1 may also work again, but downgrading is not guaranteed.

summers1989

Update Malfunction

#18 Postby summers1989 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I tried to update to the latest version of Magical Diary and when I did, it gave me this code on notebook and wouldn't let me update.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 116, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\warp.py", line 101, in warp

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

hanako
Site Admin

#19 Postby hanako » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:44 pm

From what version to what version were you updating, if you know?

We had a bit of a weird mess for a few versions there, which should hopefully now be fixable, but depending on what people had in between, strange things could happen until everyone gets the fix.

holeena

#20 Postby holeena » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for the quick redressing of the problem! I am running on Windows 7 and Norton Antivirus enabled if that helps anything.

@Hanako, for some reason downgrading (and in my case and few uninstall and reinstall moments) let me keep my save files. I suppose I was just lucky nothing went awry and erased anything.

So I just updated 0.9 to 0.18.1 and then from there to 25.6 and Wiggle Wand is present in both instances.

Thanks!

summers1989

#21 Postby summers1989 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 pm

hanako wrote:From what version to what version were you updating, if you know?

We had a bit of a weird mess for a few versions there, which should hopefully now be fixable, but depending on what people had in between, strange things could happen until everyone gets the fix.

I was trying to update from version 1.0.22 to version 1.0.25.7

Spiky Caterpillar

#22 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 pm

@summers1989:

Is the error repeatable? If so, try:
- turning off any virus scanners and trying again.
- If you still have a copy of the installer, downgrading (You can back up your saves by finding the MagicalDiaryHorseHall folder and making a copy of it) to 1.0.18.1 and then upgrading to 1.0.25.7.

Ladygothika87

#23 Postby Ladygothika87 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 116, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\warp.py", line 101, in warp

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

I received the same error as summers1989 and tried turning off my avg virus protection before updating and it didn't work. When I tried downgrading it came up the same thing and changing my avg settings don't seem to be working. Never had problems updating before and I waited to see if someone else had the same problem, which they did, but what you told them to do doesn't seem to work on mine. I am using Windows Vista if that helps any.

hanako
Site Admin

#24 Postby hanako » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Spiky's not sure how to fix it yet, he's just suggesting stuff to see what happens.

Unfortunately, because the updater was serving out incomplete updates for a few versions there (18 through 22 as far as we can tell) things have gotten broken in weird ways.

So far it looks like the only person who's managed to get past this uninstalled the game, then reinstalled and patched up to the latest version which no longer has incomplete updates. I don't like officially recommending that, but IF you still have an installer and IF your installer is at least 1.0.9 it might be reasonable to try it.

If you first installed back in the alpha period, it's probably best to uninstall, then manually delete your game directory to make sure no old files are left around, then request a new installer download from me (forward your receipt to owner@hanakogames) It is not a good idea to try updating from a really really really old installer :)

Savegames aren't kept in the game install directory so you can delete it without losing them.

Spiky Caterpillar

#25 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 am

I have a couple more possible workarounds. Unfortunately, neither of these are tested since I don't have a copy of the game that actually shows the bug.

First - delete (or rename) bytecode.rpyb in the game directory and see if that works.

If that doesn't work: The game will automatically back up changed files when you upgrade; copying all the .old files from game/cache/1.0.9/game/ into the game/ directory and replacing the corresponding .rpycs may work.

If you have a broken game that's failing to update with "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'", zipping up all the .rpyc and .rpyb files in the game directory and uploading the resulting zip to http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html will help me test fixes. (And then PM me to let me know it's uploaded.)

sophie1996

#26 Postby sophie1996 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 am

My current version is 1.0.25.7 (upgraded from 1.0.13) and I've been trying to update my game to 1.0.26 and when i click to update it shuts down and brings up a box, and then it restarts and it's still on version 1.0.25.7

Spiky Caterpillar

#27 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 am

What does the box say? What operating system (and OS version) are you using? Are there any error messages?

sophie1996

#28 Postby sophie1996 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

Windows xp but now when i click on updates it says :

An error occured trying to get the latest updatelist: updatexception("could not download 'http://updates.spikeycaterpillar.com/magicaldiary//latest':URL error(1006',' no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it ' ),)",)

Spiky Caterpillar

#29 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:18 am

It's working from here.

Does http://updates.spikycaterpillar.com/mag ... ary/latest load in a web browser? (or allow you to save the file)? Do you have any firewalls running that might be blocking the connection? Are you using any form of proxy to access the network?

If the update list loads in a web browser but the game gives a 'connection refused' message, then the problem is most likely to be a firewall or proxy conflict.

eli555

#30 Postby eli555 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm

When I update my game it says "unable to write the game directory. Not updating." :/ what does that mean?

Return to “Magical Diary”