Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

Design your own character and attend a school for magic.
hanako
Site Admin

Troubleshooting / Bug Reports

#1 Postby hanako » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Opening a new thread for this now that the game is complete.

First, always post the version number of your version of Magical Diary in any bug report! You can check your version number by going to the Options screen and selecting *Updater* - it will show you the current version, the original version, and any partial update information. From here you can also see if there have been any new patches that you might want to download.

If you need to upload saved games or screenshots (or any type of file, actually) to us and don't have your own webspace, you can use the form at http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html to send the files.

If you encounter errors during the game, press the Upload Traceback button. That will automatically send us information on what's gone wrong. This is the best way for us to track down the error. Always upload your traceback first before trying to find a way to work around it!

If you encounter graphical bugs, you can take screenshots from inside the game by pressing the S key (in most places.). If you encounter display corruption, or if a bug shows up onscreen but NOT in the screenshot, the bug is probably a GL bug and you'll need to post the opengl.txt file the game produces.

If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, text files and screenshots may wind up being dropped in C:\Users\(Your_user_name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\(Application_name) . Otherwise, text files and screenshots should be dropped in the main game directory.
Last edited by hanako on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvername

Erro in the game

#2 Postby silvername » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 pm

I got the the third dungeon. I use telepyre to make the treasure box explode meanwhile i was far away and I got an error T__T. Is there a way to fix it. If it give you the option to cast the spell fro far away so you don't get hit by the flames why am I getting the error D=

this is what I got:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Exception: Unable to remove <store.Sphere object at 0x0BFEB510> from cell 2,0

While running game code:
- script call at line 724 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/chapter1.rpy
- script call at line 4980 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy
- script at line 3472 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy
- python at line 3477 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1897 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1201 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1081 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1005 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 140, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy", line 3477, in <module>
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy", line 1897, in flame_damage
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy", line 1201, in damage
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy", line 1081, in damage
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy", line 1005, in remove_from_cell
Exception: Unable to remove <store.Sphere object at 0x0BFEB510> from cell 2,0

While running game code:
- script call at line 724 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/chapter1.rpy
- script call at line 4980 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy
- script at line 3472 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy
- python at line 3477 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1897 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1201 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1081 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.
- python at line 1005 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/dungeon.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 pm

We'll look into it - in the meantime, can you check what version number of the game you're playing?

When fixes are available, you can download them from inside the game by using the updater like it says on the first post. You won't need to reinstall the game or anything like that, it's just a simple update. :)

I'm fairly sure that I *have* used Telepyre on the box without an error in the past. Are you sure you hit the right location? Was the sphere also in that location? Just checking as that will make it easier for us to find the problem.

silvername

#4 Postby silvername » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 pm

thank you for the quick reply *-*

yes I got the sphere and the treasure box in the same spot. I was standing on the east side of the map when I cast it. I used lighting as well and it did work. and I just checked the updater. I am downloading the version 1.0.5. I got the 1.0 xD.

thank you so much, Hanako!! u.u

Muse

#5 Postby Muse » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:15 am

I think I found a couple small typos.

Version is 1.0.5.

I think I've found some spots of double spacing
"I start to applaud, but freeze as I realize that no one else is. Then Virginia, beside me, picks up the clapping, loudly. Soon the whole room is cheering."
It looks like there is two spaces between "the" and "clapping".

Another time that seems to have double spacing is after italicized words; I'm not sure if it's just the font or what but the space after them seems larger than the rest on all of the italic phrases I see. Some examples are:
"his" and "classes":
"Uh oh. This is one of his classes."
"really" and "cut":
"... He wouldn't really cut off students' fingers, would he?!?"
"us" and "should":
"Maybe more of us should drop out."
"earth" and "are":
"The winged girl laughs. What on earth are they talking about?
"really" and "likes":
"I got Balthasar Brundrick. He likes plants. He really likes plants. I think he's got moss growing on him."
"Look" and "at":
"Look at him! He's a demon!"

Here is one that is missing a space between "meeting" and "today", and also a semicolon instead of a comma after "So don't worry":
"My roommates and I have started a sports club. We had our first meetingtoday and played some pickup soccer. So don't worry, I'm getting plenty of exercise."

Another spot that is missing a space is in the part "me'n'Luke" (should be "me 'n' Luke":
Logan's doing this thing, and he asked me'n'Luke to round up people for it."

And then a period used where I believe you either meant a comma, or to capitalize the "and" after it:
"Red magic is forceful, but not necessarily violent. Blue is the color of transformation and change. Green is the color of life. and the world of plants and animals."

A comma is used here when you want a semicolon (after "try to figure it out"):
"This is silly. Spies never hear anything nice. I have no idea what they're discussing and I shouldn't try to figure it out, I'll only come up with crazy stuff. I'm just going to walk away."

Another case of wanting a semicolon instead of a comma (after "with Initiation"):
"Poor Ellen's had a hard time of it this week with Initiation, I'm sure she's glad that it's all over."

Two more cases of commas instead of semicolons (or separate sentences) here:
"One hundred percent mechanical and campus legal, I checked. Take a handful of covers, you'll need them. Is everyone paid up?"

Here is a point where "oh no" should be in quotes, since you are repeating what Virginia says:
"What do you mean, oh no?"

Also, there is a point where you use the British spelling of a word instead of the American, and I don't know if that is intentional: realise is used instead of realize.
"Which just makes me realise... I miss my family."
The same thing happens later with:
"I'm sorry. I didn't realise." when speaking with Damien after break.
"Either I'm more confused than I realise, or some kind of trap is redirecting me despite my precautions." is another case. There are probably more I haven't found.

Also, when you join the secret society, and the hooded figure first appears, his character does a little jump up (in that his portrait was slightly lower on the screen then is higher) that I am unsure if it is on purpose or not. At the line: "Wait! There's someone."

Edit: Found another comma used when you want a semicolon:
"You're not! You're one of the smartest people here, you know that. You're a good witch!"

dbn2240

Bug Report

#6 Postby dbn2240 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm

I just updated my game to 1.0.21 and whenever I try to turn on the game I get this error:

KeyError: 'pleasant'

While executing init code:
- script at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week32.rpy
- python at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week32.rpy.
- python at line 1295 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.

File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 327, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\ast.py", line 647, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\python.py", line 981, in py_eval_bytecode
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week32.rpy", line 291, in <module>
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy", line 1295, in GrabinerSprite
KeyError: 'pleasant'

While executing init code:
- script at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week32.rpy
- python at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/week32.rpy.
- python at line 1295 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiary/game/magical_diary.rpy.

--------------------------------------
Is there anyways I can have this fixed. I really like playing this game. :<

Spiky Caterpillar

#7 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 am

Hm. What version of Windows are you using? What version of the game did you update from?

The first thing to try is deleting the file C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\game\bytecode.rpyb (if you have Windows set to hide file extensions, this file may be called 'bytecode' or 'Bytecode') and starting the game again.

dbn2240

#8 Postby dbn2240 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I am using Windows 8.0 and I am not exactly sure which version I updated from...

Spiky Caterpillar

#9 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:12 am

Eight? That's not even out yet, is it?

You can find the original game version in C:\Program Files\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\game\original_game_version . Also, tell me the file size (in bytes, not disc space used) for week32.rpyc and magical_diary.rpyc. (both in the game directory.)

If deleting bytecode.rpyb doesn't work:
- Make a backup of the game directory, since these steps *might* break the game.
- Delete week32.rpyc (and bytecode.rpyb, if it exists.)
- Start the game. It should now start, but will crash when you reach the
last week of the game.
- Use 'reset to 1.0.21' or 'upgrade to 1.0.22' on the updater screen. This should re-download the last week.

If you have a multi-boot system, does the game work in any other version of Windows, or in Wine?

This sort of problem is most likely caused by something that prevented the game from replacing existing files during the update; some antivirus programs can do that, as can Windows UAC if the process wasn't elevated properly. While I have special code in the updater to work with Vista and Seven, it's possible that Eight changes the way that UAC works.

If it is a UAC problem, then copying the entire game folder to the desktop and running from there (after killing week32.rpyc and bytecode.rpyb') may allow you to update/reset properly.

Filesystem corruption and hardware problems can theoretically also cause problems like this, though you will usually notice other programs having problems or general system instability if it's hardware-related.

Tielle

#10 Postby Tielle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:58 am

I debated with myself a little before deciding to post this here, as my problem isn't with the full game but with the demo of it. It won't run for me (I've got Windows 7, if that helps at all). :(

Trying to start it, I get a second or so of a little rectangle in my screen that has "Magical Diary" beneath an open book, with a few little symbols above it. Screen flickers between black and my desktop (once with a resized desktop) before settling back to desktop as normal and no program running. Trying it as administrator returns the following:

ValueError: subsurface rectangle outside surface area

While running game code:
- script call at line 731 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy
- script call at line 184 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.11.2b/common/00gltest.rpy
- script at line 1040 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiaryDemo/game/enginepatch.rpy
- python at line 1046 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiaryDemo/game/enginepatch.rpy.

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\main.py", line 140, in run
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiaryDemo/game/enginepatch.rpy", line 1046, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\ui.py", line 216, in interact
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\display\core.py", line 1608, in interact
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\display\core.py", line 1951, in interact_core
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\display\core.py", line 1311, in draw_screen
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 870, in draw_screen
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall - Demo\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 634, in do_draw_screen
ValueError: subsurface rectangle outside surface area

While running game code:
- script call at line 731 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy
- script call at line 184 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.11.2b/common/00gltest.rpy
- script at line 1040 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiaryDemo/game/enginepatch.rpy
- python at line 1046 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/MagicalDiaryDemo/game/enginepatch.rpy.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Postby hanako » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Reporting demo problems is still good - it may turn out that your computer just can't run the game, but if we can fix it, we want to!

What sort of computer are you using? I know you said Windows 7, but is it a laptop, a netbook? What resolution is your desktop set to?

Try holding down shift while you double-click on the game. If that works right, you should get a menu of display options. If you do, try choosing 'Prefer Software Renderer' and see if that makes the game work. If holding down shift does nothing, tell us that.

Spiky may have more suggestions later, this is just my first pass. :)

Tielle

#12 Postby Tielle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Holding down shift worked, and now I can start the demo just by double clicking normally. :)

I've got a regular desktop computer, a Dell Studio XPS 8100. Resolution's set at 1920 x 1080.

Spiky Caterpillar

#13 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

What version of the demo do you have? (It will show the current version in Options: Updater.)

Tielle

#14 Postby Tielle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 am

1.0.5, just what was available from the website the other day

holeena

Updating to 1.0.22

#15 Postby holeena » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Bought the game at 1.0.9 and haven't updated until 0.22 released.
When I update from 1.0.9 everything runs smoothly, the game restarts and it loads the new data and says "DONE" to everything. But when I check if the updates are in place e.g. the Wiggle Wand, it's not in the store.

So I try to downgrade the version but the only version I can choose is 0.22 and when I do so, I get this error message:

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'

While running game code:

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 382, in main
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\main.py", line 116, in run
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Diary - Horse Hall\renpy\warp.py", line 101, in warp
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'filename'

While running game code:

--

Thanks Hanako & Spiky :)

Return to “Magical Diary”