Cannot open game

A visual novel in which a first date goes terribly wrong, leading to a mystery which must be solved before you vanish forever...
Kirroha

Cannot open game

#1 Postby Kirroha » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I opened my game once and fullscreened, but then after that I can't open it anymore, I keep getting this traceback.txt:

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

error: No video mode large enough for 1024x768

After initialization, but before game start.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Date Warp\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Date Warp\renpy\main.py", line 299, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Date Warp\renpy\display\core.py", line 1280, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files\Date Warp\renpy\display\core.py", line 951, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files\Date Warp\renpy\display\pgrender.py", line 53, in set_mode
error: No video mode large enough for 1024x768

After initialization, but before game start.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e

Is there any way for me to continue my game this way?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Sounds like your video card doesn't like big images? What sort of computer have you got, and what's your desktop resolution?

It *should* be able to default into a small mode for smaller screens. Try setting your resolution to 800x600 and launching the game again?

(Spiky Caterpillar may have more suggestions later.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#3 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:30 pm

It's odd, and I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. In addition to Hanako's questions, what versions of Date Warp and Windows do you have? What color depth is your screen set to?

What exactly do you mean by fullscreened? Did it start running in fullscreen mode? Did you switch it into windowed mode before quitting?

Try going into your save directory (C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\RenPy\DateWarp\ or C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\DateWarp\) and renaming the file named 'persistent' and seeing if it will then start properly.

If that fixes it (even temporarily), upload your old persistent file (and the new one) to http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/savegame-upload.html so I can see if I can figure out what's actually going wrong.

Kirroha

#4 Postby Kirroha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 am

The game opened fine the first time, and it was windowed. I fullscreened it, and after that I closed the game, and from then on I can't open it again.

Spiky Caterpillar

#5 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 am

Windowed, letterboxed, or scaled down? (If the game doesn't fit exactly to the screen, the engine will add black borders around/alongside the window.)

Did you fullscreen it using the fullscreen option on the preferences menu or one of the titlebar buttons?

What resolution is your monitor set to?

Upload me the persistent file so I can see what settings it thinks it's using, then rename the persistent file to persistent.OLD and see if the game will start normally.

KL251986

#6 Postby KL251986 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:41 am

Looks like its been a while since the last post on this thread. Anyways, I recently bought Date Warp, and I got the same exact traceback.txt as Kirroha, except my game never once opened up or started. The demo worked fine on my system, but the full version doesn't.

Spiky Caterpillar

#7 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue May 15, 2012 5:50 pm

What resolution and colour depth is your screen currently set to? What OS are you using?

Try searching for your settings file (it will be called 'persistent', inside a folder named DateWarp), renaming it, and replacing it with this one: http://spikycaterpillar.com/datewarp/se ... persistent - this will force the game to start in windowed mode.

Return to “Date Warp”