Date Warp - Silver Edition

A visual novel in which a first date goes terribly wrong, leading to a mystery which must be solved before you vanish forever...
hanako
Site Admin

Date Warp - Silver Edition

#1 Postby hanako » Fri May 09, 2014 3:49 pm

So I don't jam up the Black Closet topic with other things:

Date Warp:

I currently have two different people building possible UIs, because I want to replace the one I originally did. I'm not really sure what I want so we're experimenting. If I like both I'll eventually post them for votes. Too early to show anything on this subject.

Extra graphics are being made for trading cards - as with Magical Diary, I don't want to use in-game graphics for the cards on this title. However, I'm probably NOT going to get special art just for achievements, I don't think they would add much to the game atmosphere.

CG artist said she would not be available until mid-May. I want at least one more CG and possibly some upgrades to some of the existing ones, but we have no actual plans in place yet.

chudah

Re: Updates In Progress (existing games)

#2 Postby chudah » Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm really liking the new background art for TRT, the shading (and I don't know how to word it, but maybe softness of the colors?) compliments the character images a lot better. Big thumbs up for that.

Take your time on Date Warp. I haven't played it yet and fully plan on purchasing it once it goes up for sale on Steam, but I'd like to play the best version possible, and I'm patient. 8)

Hoosha

#3 Postby Hoosha » Thu May 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Um what? Trading cards? Did you say trading cards? You're making TRADING CARDS?

FruitySnooty

#4 Postby FruitySnooty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 am

'Extra graphics are being made for trading cards'

WHAT
TRADING CARDS

MY INNER POKEMON CARD COLLECTOR IS CALLING

I must know of these trading cards.

Franka

#5 Postby Franka » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 am

It's a Steam thing.

kardwill

#6 Postby kardwill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am

hanako wrote:So I don't jam up the Black Closet topic with other things:

The Royal Trap:

As you can see, I am in the process of having the backgrounds replaced. :)

Cool. I love this game, but many original backgrounds were on the bland side, and clashed with the character art. The one you show here is real nice, though. :)

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Postby hanako » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:56 am

Date Warp:

I have two sets of UI, one complete and one almost-complete. I think I'm going to just take the one and save the other for another game*, but it depends on how it works out in code.

I have a sketch for the big exciting new CG thing. There may be a second one coming as well!

The trading cards have been done for a while.

Haven't yet written the plot adjustments because we've been in a Black Closet push and some of it will depend on how the CG turns out.

* ... yes, I have another game I want to write, which is currently under the title of Buried Lilies ~a delicacy of spirit ~ but may not keep that. and I'm trying to resist working on it because I'm supposed to do Wolf Hall next! However, there is the small problem that Spiky may be sufficiently burned out after Black Closet and all the Steam Stuff that he may need a breather... I don't know yet, that's all I'm saying!

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:29 am

Switched over to actively upgrading Date Warp now.

Good news - Spiky made a code thing work, so the engine upgrade of Date Warp is coming along. The big important new CG is done. There may be another one coming, maybe not.

Bad news - Artists continue to disappear without warning. Hopefully they'll show up again... eventually...

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Postby hanako » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Should I show you bits of the new Date Warp UI, or will that just inspire "But I wish it was THIS instead!!"? :) It's not really that exciting, but we've moved in more of a sci-fi direction and less of a steampunky one, since the game really isn't that.

Game has been ported into a much newer version of RenPy. The entire UI is being replaced (it's not all done yet) and all the sections with special visual effects have to be checked and tweaked. A couple of new plot additions still need writing. I think we're not getting a second CG, but the new one is pretty awesome, so.

New backgrounds for TRT Enhanced are about half complete.

chudah

#10 Postby chudah » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Quick question, once TRT is updated re-released, how will I get the updated version? I have the original download email (the links no longer work), but not the receipt email.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Postby hanako » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't currently know.

For one thing, until the art is actually finished, we can never be sure that the art will be finished. Sometimes things go wrong.

I'm not even sure at this point whether it will be a replacement for existing owners, or a separate deluxe version (which would have a cheap upgrade option for existing customers, as Cute Knight did when it got the graphical overhaul). There are several logistical reasons why it might make more sense to keep them separate. If we did that, we could put out the new build in HD only and leave the existing version available for people who had a smaller screen and/or wanted a smaller download.

chudah

#12 Postby chudah » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm

I understand....maybe I'm just getting a little excited. :oops: I'd be fine with paying for an upgrade, seems reasonable considering the new artwork added.

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Postby hanako » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:02 pm

We are now finally (don't ask, just don't ask) ready to seek testers for the new version of Date Warp.

Things That Are New (that you will actually notice):

New UI
New options involving sleeping with Linds
New finale CG
New special true ending epilogue

Things you should not actually notice, but should comment on if anything funny happens:
Massive engine overhaul and a lot of technical stuff

If you already own the game and would like to help us test the new version please email owner@hanakogames.com with your receipt/order information. At the moment we're focusing the testing on Steam, so this will primarily be to get a Steam beta key. If you are NOT a Steam user and still desperately want to help test and look for bugs and things, let me know in email.

hanako
Site Admin

#14 Postby hanako » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 pm

The Date Warp Steam build has been bumped to fix a couple of bugs; at least one more set of fixes is coming soon.

FantasyFan

#15 Postby FantasyFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't know if this has been fixed yet, but I found a bug when reloading a saved game (I saved right before the new Linds menu because I wanted to try both options). It wouldn't let me take a screenshot, but I got a message that said "The savegame scrutinizer was made uneasy by certain aspects of your saved game - most importantly, and then there's a whole bunch of code.

Return to “Date Warp”