Date Warp - Silver Edition

A visual novel in which a first date goes terribly wrong, leading to a mystery which must be solved before you vanish forever...
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Updates In Progress (existing games)

#16 Postby hanako » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Spiky's written a whole new savegame system that is doing extra error-checking to protect against malicious save hacks, but any variable that was accidentally left out of the proofing system will throw errors like that on load (to warn that there might be something wrong with the save). So if you see any of those, we need to know what variable name is involved so we can fix it.

(Printscreen should work?)

It's possible it's already been fixed, since once the variable is created it will always throw that error on loading that save even if, in future games, the variable will be created safely.

FantasyFan

#17 Postby FantasyFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Tried printscreen, didn't work. However, after that message, the game continued as normal.

Spiky Caterpillar

#18 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm

If you're getting savegame scrutinizer warnings (which should be a little clearer in the newest version), selecting the option to save the log will create a file called 'nopickles.warnings' in your save directory which has the relevant information. (Most of the time, all I actually need is the variable name)

The hugeness of today's update is me replacing the OP with one encoded at higher resolution. I'm still a little unhappy with the video encoding, but I don't know if the glitches that bother me bother anyone else. Other changes - when you go out into the forcefield on Rafael's path, the animation should be a little bit less laggy, and it now uses an MMX/SSE-capable pygame on amd64 Linux.

hanako wrote:It's possible it's already been fixed, since once the variable is created it will always throw that error on loading that save even if, in future games, the variable will be created safely.

It's usually actually the variables I've taken <i>out</i> that warn you forever - if I've just forgotten the sanity checks for it then once the sanity checks are added the old save will load without complaint.

I think the biggest change that remains to do is probably figuring out how to autodetect buggy GL drivers (again. It changes slightly each time the engine changes, which is why I try to avoid updating the engine as long as possible.)

hanako
Site Admin

#19 Postby hanako » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 pm

So the new Date Warp is pretty much done but we can't launch it because of slow Steam processes and needing to have everything approved and rubber-stamped, so probably next week sometime? Dunno.

We haven't pushed the new fullbuild out for download yet either - getting around to making the new demo at the moment.

hanako
Site Admin

#20 Postby hanako » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Back from convention and miserably sick, but we're trying to get this steam thing going. I currently have the page up and set to Coming Soon status, which means that the game can't be played on Steam yet but you CAN go and add tags (or leave a review if you have a beta key). So if anyone wants to leap in and helpfully stick tags like Sci-fi and Visual Novel on it, here you go.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301380

Now let's hope I don't screw anything up because I have such a bad cold!

Return to “Date Warp”