Bug? Playing in School

A fast-paced, light-hearted RPG where schoolgirls save the world from aliens.

Moderator: Spiky Caterpillar

perch

Bug? Playing in School

#1 Postby perch » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

My game keeps shutting off and putting out an error report while my girls are playing in a certain area of the school.

[spoiler]

I'm chasing the flower in the Junior High and it's currently sitting in the stairwell that connects the main school with the Junior High. When I try to go to that area my game shuts down completely and I receive this error report. I'm running the full game on Windows XP.

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

TypeError: object of type 'function' has no len()

While running game code:
- script at line 487 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy
- python at line 489 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 255, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\main.py", line 308, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\execution.py", line 230, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\ast.py", line 558, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\Science Girls\renpy\python.py", line 921, in py_exec_bytecode
File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy", line 489, in <module>
TypeError: object of type 'function' has no len()

While running game code:
- script at line 487 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy
- python at line 489 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.9.2a

[/spoiler]

Spiky Caterpillar

#2 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 pm

I fixed the bug and emailed you the patches; if anyone else is affected by the same bug, downloading http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/patches/1.0.4/jrschool.rpyc and http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/patches/1.0.4/game.rpyc and putting them in your game directory (which should already be full of rpyc files, including old versions of game.rpyc and jrschool.rpyc - if it isn't, it's not the right game directory.) will fix it.

c-quel

#3 Postby c-quel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 am

Hello. I'm also getting a similar error in the full Linux version.

[spolier]

After defeating the flower, the next fight I have in the Junior High School (usually with one of those acid or base creatures) has Andrea repeat the dialogue about the donuts (this time you obtain four). After Heather chuckles, the game shuts down.

[/spoiler]

However, it did not give me a traceback until I ran the the game from the terminal, in which case it is as follows:

Code: Select all

File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 255, in bootstrap
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/main.py", line 308, in main
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/main.py", line 92, in run
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/execution.py", line 230, in run
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/python.py", line 921, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy", line 534, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'pos'

While running game code:
 - script at line 517 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy
 - python at line 534 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy.

And just to confirm, my name isn't "deeko". ;)

Hope you can help me out. Thanks!

Spiky Caterpillar

#4 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 pm

I've got a candidate bugfix at http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/patches/1.1.12/jrschool.rpyc - Try replacing the current jrschool.rpyc and let me know if that makes the bug go away.

If it doesn't fix the bug, let me know and upload your relevant savegames through http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/savegame-upload.html

Thanks!

c-quel

#5 Postby c-quel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:06 am

Hi! Thanks for the prompt reply!
If I patched this correctly (basically I copy this new jrschool.rpyc into the "Game" folder, overwriting the original), then no unfortunately the issue persists. Fortunately it did produce a traceback this time, which is as follows:

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

While running game code:
 - script at line 518 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy
 - python at line 535 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 255, in bootstrap
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/main.py", line 308, in main
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/main.py", line 92, in run
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/execution.py", line 230, in run
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "renpy-6.9.2/renpy/python.py", line 921, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy", line 535, in <module>

While running game code:
 - script at line 518 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy
 - python at line 535 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-6.9.2a/ScienceGirls!/game/jrschool.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.9.2a
Game version: ScienceGirls!-1.1.11

I'll still upload my savegame of course. ^^

Spiky Caterpillar

#6 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:02 am

Oops - it looks like I wasn't clearing the battle victory label after the Scurrying Slirrup was defeated, so fighting something else in the same room would crash. Was the room you beat the Scurrying Slirrup in room 108? (If not, then I've fixed the wrong bug.)

I've updated the fix at http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/patches/1.1.12/jrschool.rpyc - it should now work if you start from a savegame where you haven't yet defeated the Scurrying Slirrup.

If you've only got saves from after the Scurrying Slirrup was defeated, press F6 on the map screen and enter the following code:

x = 0
while x<len(lvl.rooms):
  lvl.rooms[x].battle_victory_lbl = None
  x += 1

(The spaces matter, since this is Python)

c-quel

#7 Postby c-quel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi! Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply (what service!). :P

Well I loaded the .rpyc file and I also had to do the python script fix as well, since I didn't have any other save files that advanced (the others were just from people who were interested in trying the game out on my netbook).

It definitely works, so I'm in the clear! Thank you very much! :D

Now I just have to figure out what to do next (after that point) since the jrschool looks pretty empty (save for the random monster encounter). Guess I'll check back in the main school for clues... ^__^

Return to “Science Girls!”