No sound

A fast-paced, light-hearted RPG where schoolgirls save the world from aliens.

Moderator: Spiky Caterpillar

ArcadiaIgnis

No sound

#1 Postby ArcadiaIgnis » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 am

I bought the game on Steam for both myself and a friend, and started up the games. My friend's game worked as normal, but my game had no sound whatsoever.

Spiky Caterpillar

Re: No sound

#2 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 am

Have you gotten any error messages when launching the game? What OS, processor, and sound card are you using?

We've gotten scattered reports of crashes initializing sound on Win7/8 for some users. So: if you're using windows:

First: Go to %APPDATA%\RenPy\science_girls\ and look for a file named 'pysdlsound.fail'.

If it's there, then the game tried to initialize the sound card and failed; in that case, try the following:

1) Delete pysdlsound.fail.
2) Quit all running programs, especially Skype or anything else that uses the sound card. (one player reports that the game can't use the sound card if Skype's running but works fine if Skype's not running.)
3) Start the game.

The sound section of your dxdiag output may also help.

If you're using Linux, check to see if any other programs or users have locked your sound devices.

ArcadiaIgnis

#3 Postby ArcadiaIgnis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 pm

No errors when I start the game, everything worked fine except the sound. I'm on Windows 8, Intel Core i7-4500U processor, not sure what sound card I have.

The pysdlsound.fail file was there. I deleted it, closed out of everything, and tried again and the sound worked. As another test, I opened Skype and tried again, and the sound still worked, so I'm not sure if Skype was the original problem.

Anywho, it's working now, thanks for the help! If I find out anything else I'll post here.

Mirryon

#4 Postby Mirryon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:49 am

Apologies for the necromancy of this thread, but I thought I'd mention that changing my system region to Japan seems to have solved my sound crash.

Mirryon

#5 Postby Mirryon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm

update - Changing the region worked only the one time. Now I am unable to play again. :c

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Postby hanako » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I don't think the region really affected anything - the sound problem seems to be almost entirely random, which is why we're having so much trouble getting a solid solution. :(

I've had it happen on my computer sometimes, and then not happen the very next time I launched it, and then happen several times in a row, and then not... even when i do the exact same things, I don't get the same results!

We have made a number of changes trying to get it working for more people, but the whole thing remains mysterious.

Return to “Science Girls!”