Science Girls!-Demo.exe has stopped working

A fast-paced, light-hearted RPG where schoolgirls save the world from aliens.

Moderator: Spiky Caterpillar

Ren

Science Girls!-Demo.exe has stopped working

#1 Postby Ren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 am

Hello,

I downloaded your latest demo from hanakogames.com (ScienceGirls!-Demo-1.3c) and I seem to have run into a weird bug: I played it for a fair while yesterday and intended to continue to the end of the demo today, but when I tried to run the executable I got a window pop-up in Windows saying "Science Girls!-Demo.exe has stopped working". I thought that maybe the link from the Start menu might have been wrong and tried to run the game from inside the installation folder, to no avail. The same message appears every time I try to start the game. If it's useful at all, I stopped (and saved) right after I brought back the plans to one of the girls.

Rebooting the computer solves this, though I didn't leave it running, so it's a bit weird that it doesn't start the first time I try before rebooting...

I didn't see any Error Log file in the folders of the game, though I might have missed something. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Science Girls!-Demo.exe has stopped working

#2 Postby hanako » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:12 pm

arrrrrrrgh, so yeah, I guess it's not just wendy. (See her travails in the steam beta thread for a similar problem, where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, despite nothing changing in the game.)

Something is funky in Win7 with this older engine. Sadly I have no idea how to go about dealing with this. Right now all we can do is keep collecting data and hope for a Eureka moment.

(So yes, anyone who encounters this, please do tell us about it, we are taking notes! I just don't know what to suggest to you now but I'm hoping we will figure it out eventually.)

Actually... does XP compatibility mode make a difference? (Does win7 still have compatibility mode?)

Ren

Re: Science Girls!-Demo.exe has stopped working

#3 Postby Ren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 pm

It does have compatibility mode.

However, it's working now, I'll try and boot it up next time I turn the PC off and see if I ever reproduce it.

As it happens, I spotted a "debug" file in there: is there any way for me to provide you with a traceback, by any chance? I stupidly didn't think of looking into the event handler when this happened and I don't know whether I'd have found anything anyway. :/

(Ex professional game tester, you see - for me bugs are like Moby Dick for Achab... let's just say that at least I'm less likely to lose a leg because of it!)

Return to “Science Girls!”