Seeking Science Explorers for Steam beta

A fast-paced, light-hearted RPG where schoolgirls save the world from aliens.

Moderator: Spiky Caterpillar

hanako
Site Admin

Seeking Science Explorers for Steam beta

#1 Postby hanako » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm

If you have purchased and played Science Girls prior to March 2014 and are interested in beta-testing the new version on Steam, please email me with your receipt (or enough information about your order that I can find it in the records) so I can give out a shiny Steam beta key.

We want to get this ready for release soon, so please come and give us some feedback!

Please do not buy a copy of the game now just so you can get a Steam test key. If you don't have a copy yet, WAIT. :)

wendymarlowe

Re: Seeking Science Explorers for Steam beta

#2 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 am

Don't know whether this is intentional or not - I haven't compared it to the previous non-Steam copy of the game - but poor Nicole seems to keep getting the shaft, xp-wise:

I assumed it had something to do with her getting fewer hits in or something, but it's been every fight since I picked her up (granted, I'm still not that far in yet).

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 am

Not a change - party members on joining have their own starting XP which is not the same as the people who've been in your party up until that point, so getting the same XP as everyone else will still leave her at a slightly different total.

wendymarlowe

#4 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 am

Ah, okay, that explains it. I was reading the numbers as "XP gained this fight" - your way makes a lot more sense :-P

wendymarlowe

#5 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 pm

A request for next time you do a biggish update: would it be possible to add the girls' names to the top of the window where we pick their actions each turn? (This was something I would have liked on my last playthrough, too.) I get to screens like this:

and I have to double-check the girls' hair color against their pictures at the bottom to make sure I'm not about to have someone do an attack when they really need to heal (or waste a heal when they should be attacking). It's not insurmountable, and I'm sure it gets easier as the game goes on and I'll get more used to pairing the pictures and the names and the HP bars, but it's something to think about if it wouldn't be too much extra bother.

ETA: I only tonight noticed the white border around the selected girl. D'oh! (And I have played a good way through the game before, too!)
Last edited by wendymarlowe on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

phoenixgirl

#6 Postby phoenixgirl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 am

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to beta test although I'll do my best to get some time in. XD

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I found this a bit unusual:

I think that killer plant wasn't there in the previous version? It's been a while since I last played so I could be quite wrong about this.
Please help and support me here.

phoenixgirl

#7 Postby phoenixgirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:29 am

I finished through the game earlier today. It really has been quite a while since I last played so I forgot some things. lol

I looked at the achievements page and I got 4 out of the 7. I'm wondering how to get the following missing ones:

Board of Regents
Thesis Defense
Hairy Ball Theorem

I'm pretty thorough when it comes to exploring all areas of a game so I'm wondering if I missed something somewhere. XD
Please help and support me here.

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:43 am

One of those has to do with an easily-missable map location

One requires playing at the highest difficulty

One requires using scientific principles to kill monsters with items in an unusual way.

(vague hintiness)

wendymarlowe

#9 Postby wendymarlowe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Woo, a genuine bug!

Just finished a fight in the swampy area, which started when I was on the path and the monster (one of those inky octopus things) was not. I get back to the map and my character is standing next to the path where the monster was, unable to move in any direction. (Have to go back to a previous save.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#10 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:34 pm

The getting-stuck-in-the-swamp bug should be fixed in 1.3.1, but it'll still show up in saves where you first entered the swamp level on 1.3 or earlier.

wendymarlowe

#11 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Now I can't get into the game at all - attempting to open it (through the desktop shortcut or via Steam) just gives me a Windows error saying "ScienceGirls!.exe has stopped working." Both Steam and Java updated something since yesterday (when I last played).

Spiky Caterpillar

#12 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Does the error message provide any additional information? What version of Windows are you using? If you start the game directly from Windows rather than the desktop shortcut, does it work? Does unchecking the 'Enable Steam Overlay In Game' box make it work?

(Java updates should have no effect on it; Steam updates can have an effect, though it's working on my machine.)

wendymarlowe

#13 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 pm

No additional information, just thegeneric message:

I'm running Windows 7, and booting the game from the start menu, desktop shortcut, and Steam library page all give the same error. I found the "Enable Steam Overlay" box and tried it both checked and unchecked with all three boot variations; still no luck.

Spiky Caterpillar

#14 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Can you expand 'View problem details'? Does reverifying the downloaded files help?

wendymarlowe

#15 Postby wendymarlowe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 pm

"View problem details" yields

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ScienceGirls!.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4917df95
Fault Module Name: StackHash_c51c
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 956c0000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c51c
Additional Information 2: c51c3a7990f8a4215c04d38604988dcf
Additional Information 3: 2ff6
Additional Information 4: 2ff67d422fb675aeed69f09799e8be35

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Not sure what you mean by reverifying the downloaded files - what would I need to do for that?

Return to “Science Girls!”